We came across these “Did You Know” trivia facts in the local paper and thought we’d share :
- Kingswinford is mentioned in the Doomsday book
- In Roman times and for centuries afterwards Kingswinford was a dense primeval forest.
- Records show that in 1920 coal was being mined in the area and in the 1600’s ironstone was also being extracted.
- Kingswinford has links to the gunpowder plot when Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Several of his co conspirators were captured and killed at Holbeche House where they had taken refuge in 1605 after fleeing when the plot was uncovered.
- Many of the streets on the Charterfields housing estate built during the 1970’s adopted names of the gunpowder plot conspirators including Catesby Drive, Digby Road, Keyes Drive, Tresham Road, Ambrose Crescent, Monteagle Drive and Rosewood Close.
- Lawrence and Cassandra Southwick from Kingswinford were among the founding fathers of America.
- The couple were early immigrants to the American colonies going there in 1627 on what was thought to be the second crossing of the ship, The Mayflower.
- In 2004, Kingswinford was put on high alert when it was announced that a crocodile was sighted in a local park.
What can you tell us about your work location ??